The Tretyakov family buys a house on Lavrushinsky Lane in Zamoskvorechye, where Moscow merchants settled in Russia at the end of 1851. In 1856, Pavel Tretyakov brought to this house the first paintings of his collection, which will turn into a magnificent Museum of Art today.
As the art collection grows, special items such as wings added to the living spaces of the main building are built and the house becomes the main Gallery of the museum. When Pavel died in 1898, the building was redesigned by architect V. Vasnetsov and transformed into a large museum complex that has so far hosted many visitors.
The complex has been expropriated and transformed into a State Gallery, aiming to examine, protect, represent and popularize Russian art. At the same time, P.M. Tretyakov is very successful in continuing his work devoted to his life and promoting his national-artistic heritage to the public. Visitors at the entrance of the gallery meet a statue of Tretyakov. The Tretyakov Gallery, which is a very popular Museum for art lovers, awaits all the art lovers with its famous landscapes, portraits, historical paintings and masterpieces, starting from prehistoric icons and mosaics, including the works of Andrei Rublev’s “Trinity”.
The historical main building of the gallery contains examples of Russian art from the beginning of the eleventh century to the beginning of the twentieth century. It hosts to the world’s most valuable collections of Fine Arts and works. Besides the works exhibited in the gallery, there are special exhibitions at certain times.
The Gallery, which is closed on Mondays, is open to visitors on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays between 10:00 am – 6:00 pm. The other days can be visited between 10:00 am and 9:00 pm.